How To Build Zone Mortalis Terrain

Over the last week I have been building some Zone Mortalis Terrain to play with. I decided that my terrain had to be modular, so I could change the setup when I wanted to. I also decided to make the terrain as the inside of an top secret Inquisition base, so many of the tiles had Inquisition sign on them. I ended up with a couple different types of wall sections, and it looks great on the tabletop.

IMG_7180

I had a bunch of plastic dividers lying around, so I started by cutting the tabs off the edges of them.

IMG_7170

I then cut some wood bases in half to create a base for the walls.

IMG_7171

After that I attached the walls to the base with super glue.

IMG_7172

Then I primed the sections with grey primer.

IMG_7173

I then detailed the raised parts of the wall with white.

IMG_7174

Then I added Inquisition signs, “Danger” warnings, or claw marks to the walls.

IMG_7175

I also made joints for the wall sections by cutting foam board to the right height and mounting it on square bases. The joints were a combination of X, T, and L joints.

The entire lot took me about 3 hours over the course of the week, so it is a highly effective way of making terrain and it looks great.

IMG_7178

I tested it on a 2×2 ft. board and it worked like a charm, with extra panels left over.

IMG_7176

The terrain would also work great for Zone Mortalis, Infinity and also RPG games. I plan to make a lot more of these so I can cover a 4×4 board.

Until next time,

– MinisMuse

Advertisements

Warhammer 40,000 Imperial Bunker

This bunker had been siting around as an unfinished terrain piece for quite awhile so I decided that it needed to be finished. The bunker is made of foamboard and photo matting.

IMG_7081

I applied a textured paint to the whole of the bunker to make it look like concrete.

IMG_7088

I then drybrushed it with a light grey to bring out the texture.

IMG_7091

After that I applied an Imperial Aquila using tweezers and a sponge.

IMG_7093

I then applied a black wash to the bunker to tone it down.

IMG_7096

To finish I added a brown wash to the bunker, and a rust wash in random spots to make the bunker less monotone.

This is the final product:

IMG_7103

Until next time,

– MinisMuse

How to Scratch Build an Onager Dunecrawler

Some time ago, the Mechanicus leaks were doing their rounds and this caught my eye:

Onager Dunecrawler

This picture got my creative gears spinning and I decided to make one of these for myself. The model looked to be a Sentinel cabin with legs that had a gun added on.

I started by constructing 2x2x2 inch foamboard cabins to provide the top of the model. After gluing the foamboard together I shaved it down and added photo matting to the front and back of the cabin for an armored look.

Wave 1 Cabin

Once that was finished and dry, I glued on some details and other bits I had lying around to add visual interest. Old calculator keys became sensor pods, and brackets became weapon mounts. I added glue around the seams to smooth out any rough edges and fill any gaps in the foamboard.

IMG_0019

The Dunecrawlers needed weapons to deliver death to the enemies of the Mechanicus so I decided to arm them with plasma cannons. The round base was the top of a paint jar, with a barrel glued on. Some Lego pieces and wire made it look more like the Mechanicus had built it.

IMG_0021

The weapon bases were the bottoms of the paint jars that I glued to foamboard and added wire to. The tops pop on and off, so if I want to change weapons I would just have to switch tops.

IMG_0022

It was after this point that the Dunecrawler model was released and I could get a full 360˚ view of the model. The release of the Dunecrawler model lead to a final flurry of building activity that finished the model in a day.

To the back of the cabins I attached Computer fans with grating made of picture matting.

IMG_7030

To the side of the fan I put on exhaust pipes made out of a pen casing and drinking straws. I also added rivets to the back of the the grating on the fan using a thick mix of paint and glue, a couple layers were necessary to get the desired effect on the rivets.

IMG_7032

I added some grates and some pieces I had lying around to finish the back. You can also see a nice shot of the legs (that I forgot to photograph). The legs are 2×0.5 inch long pieces of foarmboard with a 1/4 inch nut at the end. Glued to the nut is a nail with a spring attached. I glued wires to the undersides of the legs and added detailing to the sides of the legs.

IMG_7036

I masked the model in masking tape in preparation for priming, as well as gluing on the weapons.

IMG_7037

To finish the models I added the communications array to the top of the Dunecrawlers.

IMG_7038

There are some pieces that won’t go on until the entire model is painted, such as the communications antenna and some screws, but for now the models are ready to be primed and painted!

IMG_7039

Until next time,

– MinisMuse